WHAT'S UP WITH MR. HAL BARNES
Mr. Barnes leaving Hannemann's campaign headquarters
complaint by an anonymous source was received by Mr. Carroll Cox, the
host of the "CARROLL COX SHOW," alleging that the City and County of
Honolulu Managing Director/Acting Mayor Kirk Caldwell and former Mayor
Mufi Hannemann have rehired Mr. Harold Lee Barnes to work in the
Managing Director's Office. The complainant expressed concerns about
various court cases involving Mr. Barnes as a private citizen, and the
complainant believes that these cases reflect poorly on Mr. Barnes’
integrity and could possibly compromise the integrity of the Managing
Director’s Office. Another concern expressed by the complainant was
that the Hannemann/Caldwell Administration either ignored the legal
cases in which Mr. Barnes was a defendant, or failed to conduct a
complete background check on Mr. Barnes which would have revealed such important information.
The allegations involve cases in
the Commonwealth of Virginia and the state of Hawaii. We have
contacted authorities to ask their assistance in obtaining factual
information about certain issues raised by the complainant. We
have conducted a check of the Hawaii State court records and found that
there are approximately five civil cases identifying Mr. Harold L.
Barnes and Mr. Hal Barnes. They are as follows:
- CAPITAL ONE BANK VS HAL BARNES ETAL, Initiation Date 01-25-2007, Case # 1RC07-1-000588.
- MIDLAND FUNDING LLC VS HAROLD L BARNES, Initiation Date 02-8-2010, Case # 1RC10-1- 001334.
- DISCOVER BANK VS HAL L BARNES, Initiation Date 2-18-2004, Case # 1RC04-1-001168.
- JOSEPHINE T. ROGERS VS HAROLD L. BARNES, Initiation Date 10-21-2005, Case# IRC05-1-005896,
- PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOC LLC VS HAROLD L. BARNES, Initiation Date 10-6-2009, Case # 1RC09-1-008945.
We have also obtained the following additional information:
1. For the Discover Bank Case (refer to Item No. 3 above), documents
show that the case involved garnishment of Mr. Barnes’ City and County
of Honolulu wages from the Director of Budget and Fiscal Services,
for the amount of $4,729.22.
2. Prior to his present employment
at the Managing Director’s Office, Mr. Harold Lee Barnes was employed
by the City and County of Honolulu in 2004 and 2007, and is
identified in numerous news articles in the Honolulu Weekly,
Neighborhood Board meetings and other sources as Special Assistant to
Mayor Mufi Hannemann. Our investigation found that Mr. Harold Barnes
was rehired by the City and his official start work date was March 1,
3. Mr. Barnes’ official title is Management Analyst VI (6), and he is assigned to work in the Managing Director’s Office.
4. Mr. Barnes’ date of birth is January 30, 1947.
We were able to confirm that Mr. HAROLD BARNES A.K.A HAL L. BARNES resides at 580 Kaimalino Street in Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii. He is renting from the property owner, Mr. Robert Bahm, who also lives in an adjoining unit at that same address. Mr. Bahm's telephone number is 808-254-5278
Mr. Barnes’ City and County of Honolulu work telephone number is 808-768- 4288. We attempted to interview Mr. Barnes by telephone and in person about these allegations and his position as a Management Analyst IV (6) in the Managing Director’s office. We did get video of Mr. Barnes last night leaving the Hannemann campaign headquarters. He denied having warrants in Virginia. We are researching and will get back with you with more information.
LINK HERE for data extracted from Hawaii's Judiciary website