THE CARROLL COX SHOW
NEWS AND COMMENTARY
Time after time our government has not followed through on violations and complaints. They wait until it is too late to do anything. Mayor Mufi Hannemann then blames the problem on the "Harris administration", but what has he done?
The Gulick case is not a “holdover” from the Harris administration. Hannemann knew about the situation, and even wrote a letter to one of the neighbors. The Honolulu Fire Chief appeared on television saying that he had warned Henry Eng, Director of the Dept. of Planning and Permitting (DPP), a long time before this collapse, that the building was unsafe and a danger to public life and safety. Henry Eng is one of Mufi’s appointees, he is a member of the Mayor’s cabinet. The Gulick incident is all Hannemann.
Another example is the Ala Wai sewage dumping incident. Hannemann chose to dump sewage into the Ala Wai canal. It wasn’t a “spill” as he is stating in his campaign. Now he is spending millions of our taxpayer dollars to fight the U.S. EPA. And, what about progress on the landfill, and island-wide recycling? Four years later we are still waiting for conclusion.
Mayor Hanneman and his administration tolerates a sex offender as a staff member in Human Resources. He expedites for big developers / big business, but when it comes to ordinary citizens, like those living in the Kalihi neighborhood where the house collapsed, where is he?
VIOLATIONS AND COMPLAINTS
Seven Notices of Violation were issued for zoning violations, housing code violations and and building code violations between 2003 and 2006. In 2005 an NOO was issued to start assessing fines. In 2006 case was sent to Corporate Counsel to start enforcement process. No other action was taken until another NOV was issued on October 27, after the structure collapsed!
In particular, note NOV #4, listed below. Under “special instructions” the inspector (Isma Ayau) stated “a permit will not be issued for the metal framed tarp additions”. This was in 2005 ! If DPP knew that they would not issue a building permit for the additions, because the work did not comply with building, housing, zoning and fire code regulations, then why did it take him 3 more years to issue the “Notice of Unsafe Structures” on Oct. 28, 2008?
AND - Why does the “Notice of Unsafe Structures” say “you are commanded to obtain a building permit for the existing dwelling within 48 hours and complete all work within 90 days from the date of receipt of this notice”?
In addition, 21 public complaints were recorded between August, 2002 and September, 2008:
Here is a list of the violations and complaints:
NOTICES OF VIOLATION
1. 2003 / NOV-11-024, issued Nov. 5, 2003 - two tents erected on the property. Inspector – Colin Ishikawa (Housing Code Section) Residential Code Enforcement
2. 2004/NOV-07-173, issued July 27, 2004 – The dwelling on the 5,942 sf lot in an R-5 Residential zone is occupied by 6 roomers. Inspector – Lester Hirano (zoning violation)
3. 2005/NOV-03-105, issued March 15, 2005 - metal framed structures with plastic tarps covering were erected to the rear and left side of the property. Inspector Michael Alesno (Housing Code)
4. 2005/NOV-05-093, issued May 12, 2005 – Metal framed tarp additions are constructed on the left and rear of the existing dwelling. Please remove these tarp structures within the time specified (by June 12, 2005). An open wooden floor area is added at the rear without a permit. Obtain the required permit for this addition within the specified time limit. Inspector Isma Ayau (Bldg code violation).
** “Special Instructions” a permit will not be issued for the metal framed tarp additions. Please remove these structures within the time specified. Failure to comply may result in civil fines action.
5. 2005/NOV-06-059, issued June 8, 2005 – The amount of unrelated persons residing on the property exceeds the maximum number of 5 unrelated persons permitted. Only a family and 3 roomers, or 5 unrelated persons are permitted to occupy the dwelling. Inspector Michael Alesna (Housing Code)
6. 2005/NOO-117, issued October 19, 2005 – Metal framed structures with tarp covering without a building permit. This NOO (for civil fines) was issued because NOV #2005/NOV-03-105 issued March 15, 2005, has not been corrected.
7. On Feb 7, 2006, DPP sent the case to Corp Counsel for legal enforcement assistance, because violations not corrected. Letter requested that Corp Counsel arrange for payment of civil fines, and if violator fails to comply “within a reasonable amount of time”, please refer the case back to DPP so they may "proceed with enforcement actions as appropriate”.
8. 2006/NOV-09-243, issued Sept. 29, 2006 – there are discarded items on the property including metal items, carpet, and appliances. Inspector Lester Hirano (Housing Code)
9. 2006/NOV-12-113, issued December 13, 2006 – There are discared items on the property including tires, car batteries, carpet and furniture. Inspector Lester Hirano (Housing Code)
10. 2008/NOV-10-177, issued Oct. 27, 2008 - There are more than 5 unrelated persons living in the one-family detached dwelling. Inspector Lester Hirano
PUBLIC COMPLAINTS (RFI - REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION)
Citizen complaint in addition to the complaints from the State DOH and City Counci (RISER’s)
1. Aug 14, 2002 - 2002/RFI-08-0163, bus on property
2. Jan 31, 2003 – 2003/RFI-01-0295, wall being constructed improperly
3. March 31, 2003 – 2003/RFI-03-0272, illegal dwelling unit
4. April 7, 2003 – 2003/RFI-04-0053, alterations without permit & people living in tool room
5. Oct. 30, 2003 – 2003/RFI-04-0053, people living in tents
6. July 13, 2004 – 2004/RFI-07-0130, too many people living in the house, there’s a 2nd kitchen.
7. Feb 11, 2005 – 2005/RFI-02-0141, 2 units, 8 unrelated people, tents
8. April 11, 2005 – 2005/RFI-04-0116, construction to the rear of dwelling in progress
9. May 9, 2005 – 2005/RFI-05-0077, homless shelter being built without a permit
10. April 20, 2006 – 2006/RFI-04-0234 (nature of complaint not listed on POSSE)
11. May 1, 2006 – 2006/RFI-05-0012, sewage ejector broken, sewage flowing into Kalili Stream, illegal toilet in yard
12. May 5, 2006 – 2006/RFI-05-0084, illegal construction at site
13. Dec 13, 2006 – 2006/RFI-12-0173, litter on property
14. Dec 19, 2006 – 2006/RFI-12-0244, Owner has made additions on side of house
15. Jan 3, 2007 – 2007/RFI-01-0028, owner has put tarps on dwelling
16. July 6, 2007 – 2007/RFI-07-0088, put up illegal structures
17. August 3, 2007 – 2007/RFI-08-0054, building violation, putting up canvas & scaffolds
18. April 7, 2008 – 2008/RFI-04-0103, continuum of violation previously reported in August of 2007 – canvas, scaffolds, etc.
19. July 16, 2008 – 2008/RFI-07-0220, residents have built an illegal structure in the river.
20. Aug 12, 2008 - 2008/RFI-08-042, residents building without a permit
21. Sept 30, 2008 – 2008/RFI-09-0467, illegal renovations/structure, multi-level additions